8:41 PM

826 Valencia

Mr. McGuchan, I don't know why you keep asking us how you think a Valencia would do in Ingersoll. We have one and it's an epic fail.
To debrief, 826 Valencia is a pirate supply store/learning centre for students in San Francisco. Sort of like Kumon or Sylvan but funner because it sells pirate supplies. Peg legs, mop heads, and Scurvy Begone, this place is the best. The idea really took off in terms of homework help and retail. There are now other 826 Valencia's around America including a Super Hero supply store in Brooklyn and a Time Travel shop somewhere. It's a bit of a miracle on 826 street.

Mr. McGuchan keeps asking us (the class) how we think a Valencia would go over in Ingersoll and the fact is: it wouldn't. We already have a youth centre called Fusion. If you take a tour of it after hours, it looks absolutely stunning. The public funding that's gone into the place is outstanding. The computers are fairly top notch. They have iMacs. Modern decor. A full professional recording studio. To think they have the resources in Ingersoll!

Take a tour of Fusion during open hours and you might see why it's less than successful. All of the patrons are considered the "outcast" students. I don't mean the freaky chick from math class, I mean miner niners and dirties. This crowd tends to drive off the rest of the students in Ingersoll and district. The people who could benefit from Fusion's resources are intimidated by the dirties.
It doesn't matter how many times I hear that "peer pressure shouldn't influence you're discions," it sounds like a load of BS to me every time. If one were to go to Fusion, sooner or later they'd have to talk to a niner. That niner could carry the contagious niner disease. What's worse, they may try to talk to you at school where people will likely see you. Say what you will about peer pressure, it's influential and cannot be ignored.

On one hand, Jesus associated with the outcasts. On the other, I can't grow a beard.

And if any of the Fusion staff is reading this, don't take me away to the Ministry of Love and torture me until I believe that 2+2=5.

0 comments: