5:16 PM

The Wall pt. 2

If I were in charge of the education system, I'd change what classes should and should not be compulsory. This year, I spent half a semester on quadratics and only 3 weeks on finance in my college math class. I guarantee you that 100% of the population of Canadians over 18 use finance/budgeting at least once a month. What percentage of the population in Canada uses quadratics sometime in their life outside they're high school math class? A slight fraction.

I'm not saying we shouldn't make math compulsory. We should revise the curriculum to accommodate for more useful things. When has quadratics ever been practical math?

To graduate in Ontario, you need a minimum of 30 credits, 18 of which are compulsory. Some of these may be useless to you, depending what field you are going into other courses would be practical but students just don't have the time to fit them in. I'm thinking "life courses like sewing." Or a computers course, a foods or cooking class, maybe parenting, tech for at-home repairs and maintenance, additional languages, health, co-op, finance as opposed to calculus.

These courses likely won't get you to University, but they'll get you through while you stay on campus. You'll be ready to cook, budget, eat healthy, fix your drain clog, and program your new laptop. You know? Things that are more practical than quadratics and English lit.

0 comments: